[Advaita-l] Dates: Yoga Vasishtha

jiva das jivadas3 at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 11 19:56:43 CDT 2006

This business of dates is almost funny. I have seen well-argued estimates for Shankara at 800 C.E. and 800 B.C.E, They say that Yoga Vasishtha [my particular study] must antedate Kalidasa, because a verse of Kalidasa is quoted in one of the early Prakaranas. How do we know that Kalidasa did not steal the verse from the Quasi-Valmiki?
   Should Vedantis be so obsessed about time?

jd

saMtoSaH paramo lAbhaH sat-saGgaH paramA gatiH |
vicAraH paramaM jJAnaM zamo hi paramaM sukham [Yoga Vasishtha 2.16.19]
   = Contentment is the highest gain, Good Company the highest course, Enquiry the highest wisdom, and Peace the highest enjoyment.