[Advaita-l] mUlAvidyA debate [Was Swami Satchidanandendra Saraswati]

Annapureddy Siddhartha Reddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 23:36:00 CST 2006

praNAm.h shrI Ramesh,

> Does Martha Doherty say the above in her article? I find this strange
> because I always thought that sha~Nkara accepts dR^iShTi-sR^iShTi vAda
> (DSV) (though he teaches other vAda-s also) and that his refutation of
> the vij~nAnavAdin view does not amount to a refutation of
> dR^iShTi-sR^iShTi vAda.

Yes. Martha Doherty says that shaN^kara rejects the dR^iShTi-sR^iShTi vAda.
References are Pg. 224 and Pg. 226. The references quoted are BSBh 2.2.28,
and GKBh 4.3.28.

There are several posts by Sri Ramakrishnan in the archives on DSV,
> the most exhaustive one being
> http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/1998-June/009389.html

Probably, the existence of elements of dR^iShTi-sR^iShTi vAda in shaN^kara's
works lends strength to SSS's arguments. I am not familiar with all the
issues involved, but right now, the issue of the nature of mithyA (or
not-Self) is probably key to understanding the differences between the
tradition and SSS.

praNAm.h.

A.Siddhartha.

dhanyavAdaH