[Advaita-l] Locus of avidyA

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:50:48 CST 2006

S Jayanarayanan
sjayana at yahoo.com wrote:

    I will answer all of your questions if you can answer the following
    question for me:

    "If all that exists is Brahman, where is the "room" for such as a
    thing as avidyA?"

    In case you think I'm "objectifying avidyA", how about answering the
    equivalently posed question from a "subjective" perspective:

    "Who or what is the locus of avidyA?"
------
Ramanuja knocks the foundation of advaita-vedAnta in SrI bhAShya
taking up this issue. Please see
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe48/sbe48028.htm

If I am not mistaken  (based on the previous discussion on this list),
none has satisfactorily answered these objections.

(Sylvain, I think that the leela theory will not fit into the
framework of advaita-vedAnta with its non-dual partless brahman. If it
is ascribed to ishvara, we will be back to the same locus question).

Ravi

(I replied this post on the web using firefox with Google Toolbar
extension, which opens the reply in gmail  and with performancing
extension, we are exploring simpler ways to read and reply on the web)