[Advaita-l] RE: On the parakAyapraveSa legend about Sankara

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 15:16:56 CDT 2007

Dear Amuthan,

I have been terribly busy the last few weeks. Some quick notes:

1. It seems that ubhayabhaaratii just accepts shankaras word regarding
the parakAyapravesha.

2. Note that for the author of the maadhaviiyam shankara is Lord Siva
himself. Also even before going to search for Sankara, Padmapaada
explicitly says that shankara, being a j~naani, would be completely
unattached to actions even in any other body. You should always
remember that shankara was accepted as an avataara by the author, when
reading the book in order to make sense of it.

3. If you look at the works of shankara, he clearly states that the
distiction of guru/disciple, etc are illusory. So why spend a lot of
time and effort writing bhaashyas? It requires effort, no? The point
is that it seems like it requires effort from the point of view of the
unenlightened, but shankara himself was not bound by any action. The
same goes here. Of course for bhaashya memorizing addicts, this is
actually good and it's ok. But any *perceived* action should be
measured by the same yardstick.

4. As I already mentioned, this is not an excuse for anyone to
anything he pleases. Is the same equanimity preserved when someone is
about to cut off his/her head?

Rama

On 3/28/07, Amuthan <aparyap at gmail.com> wrote:
> namo nArAyaNAya!
>
> dear shrI rAmakRShNan,
>
> On 3/28/07, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian
> <rama.balasubramanian_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have been keeping quiet on this thread. But it is a little
> > disappointing to me to see the post by Amuthan.
>
> i'm sorry if my mail offended you. though i try my best to align with
> the tradition, i have a problem understanding this episode and my
> reply was based on whatever i've understood from sha~Nkara's works.

[ ... ]