[Advaita-l] Some rebellious remarks on Sri SSS

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:19:26 CDT 2007

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

>Ofcourse, I am one of the hard core followers of Sri SSS teachings, and
>more importantly I do not >have an oscillating mind set to stick to
>something sometime & jump to another some other time >especially when it
>comes to shankara's advaita philosophy :-))

There is nothing wrong about changing one's mind about a school of thought
after a more in-depth study. As one progresses in the study, it is quite
possible that the shortcomings of the approach become obvious. Or, one may
start the study with a poor opinion of a school but a detailed study may
convert that opinion into a more favorable one.

We have heard of examples of  even more extreme cases when a person studies
a particular school in great depth with only an intention to  refute it! For
example, kumArila bhaTTa is said to have studied buddhism, and in more
recent times, rAmAchArya is said to have studied advaita with similar
intentions.

An important "pre-requisite" in such studies is that one should have enough
of an open mind to be able to grasp the subtleties of the system under
study, else there would be the risk of misunderstanding those subtleties. It
is this pre-requisite that was not met by those who tried to learn advaita
with the intention of refuting it

Anand