[Advaita-l] Advaita practice (fwd)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 10:02:42 CDT 2007

Let me make a few comments here. Firstly, it can be extremely disorienting
to attempt an advaita practice by intellectually de-personalizing one's own
identity. It can also be very disconcerting for one's parents, siblings,
spouse etc. That is why, since ancient times, there is the institution of
formal renunciation, which provides a support base for such practice. This
is also why the guidance of a guru is absolutely essential. Just as the
tendency to fall asleep must be combated when trying to achieve mental focus
(ekAgratA) on something, the tendency to become apathetic needs to be
checked when intellectualizing advaita in one's personal life.

Most of us, who live as part of a family, interacting with regular society,
need to take a more gradual approach, again with the guidance of a guru. As
far as I can see, there is no one-size-fits-all method. Each person has to
take into account his or her own temperament and circumstances. "SanaiS
Sanair uparamed buddhyA dhRti-gRhItayA" - the determination (dhRti-grahaNa)
needs to be there. SraddhA also needs to be there or it should be
cultivated. In any given situation, when one's emotions threaten to run
amok, one should make it a habit to question oneself about it. e.g. why am I
getting angry at this juncture? why am I feeling jealous of somebody? why do
I hate this person/thing? This kind of self-analysis is also, in my opinion,
a kind of yoga - a citta-vRtti-nirodha, because even if one does not
actively control the mind, the ability to analyze oneself will eventually
lead to mental calmness. We need to develop that samAdhAna. In my personal
experience, it is a continuing process. advaita vedAnta can be
intellectually understood, analyzed, discussed and criticized or defended,
but requires a lot of preparation before it can be put into practice in
one's personal life. Otherwise, one very easily gets into a state of anomie
or into antinomian behavior.

As an aside, I also believe this is one prime reason why Sankara
bhagavatpAda repeatedly asserts that one cannot know/become brahman merely
by meditating "I am brahman" either as a japa (i.e. mantra recitation) or as
an act of meditation involving mental concentration.

I hope the above is useful in some small measure.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar