[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

viswanathan n vishy39 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:54:55 CDT 2007

Namaste Shri Lakshminarayana

You have raised very very important question and  lets l try to find the way
out instead of
indulging in mere intelectual discussions over some or other scriptures.

As mr. Mustafa said in his mail why we all forgotten about simple way self
enquiry of Shri Ramana
and instead of dry discussions why not we share our experiences/ questions
of this self enquiry and get further clarifications?

I suugest you to go thru Ashtavakra Geeta ...Its ultimate ,very simple and
stright forward way of understanding the truth and reaching the goal.....

Few lines of AG ..........
"
If only you will remain resting in consciousness, seeing yourself as
distinct from the body, then even now you will become happy, peaceful and
free from bonds.

You do not belong to the brahmin or warrior or any other caste, you are not
at any stage, nor are you anything that the eye can see. You are unattached
and formless, the witness of everything - now be happy.

Righteousness and unrighteousness, pleasure and pain are purely of the mind
and are no concern of yours. You are neither the doer nor the reaper of the
consequences; you are always free.

You are the one witness of everything, and are always totally free. The
cause of bondage is that one sees the witness as something other than this.

Since you have been bitten by that black snake of self-opinion - thinking
foolishly that ‘I am the doer,’ now drink the nectar in the fact that “I am
not the doer”, and now be happy.

Burn down the forest of ignorance with the fire of understanding. Know ‘I am
the one pure awareness.’ With such ashes now be happy, free from distress.

That in which all this appears is but imagined like the snake in a rope;
that joy, supreme knowledge and awareness is what you are; now be happy.

If one thinks of oneself as free, one is free, and if one thinks of oneself
as bound, one is bound. Here this saying ‘Thinking makes it so’ is true.

Your real nature is one perfect, free, and actionless consciousness, the
all-pervading witness - unattached to anything, desireless, at peace. It is
illusion that you seem to be involved in any other matter.

Meditate on yourself as motionless awareness, free from any dualism, giving
up the mistaken idea that you are just a derivative consciousness; anything
external or internal is false."

     Proper understanding, self enquiry and meditation  are the right
mixture and  one neednt bother  much about  rituals . One need neither to
renounce or indulge in anything or anyone. if one can live desireless/
fearless life that is the real sanyas . These simple things would help to
drop the ego  " I" , you neednt even drop it would disspapear.

I tried to express  little undersatnding/ experience of mine

Thanks and regards

Viswanath
( is this too not mere identity given by some one else?....)