[Advaita-l] Concept of soul

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 08:27:49 CDT 2007

PraNAms

What is normally called 'soul' in advaita is the
presence of subtle body which is conducive for the
illumination or reflection of the all pervading
consciousness.  When the physical matter is conducive
(with proper DNAs and RNA etc)and properly assembled
for the subtle body to enter and manifest its karma,
then we can say the consciousness get reflected
through that subtle body to the physical body - which
can now respond to the external stimulus.  We now say
that matter is living.

When the subtle body leaves that matter due to
unfavorable circumstances (say heated up to high
degree etc) then composite (assembled or otherwise) we
say it is dead.

Consciousness is all pervading - it cannot be created
or annihilated.  But whether it can express as life or
not depending on the upaadhis.  What science can do is
assemble the matter imitating the existing living
structure and see if subtle body, which makes the
gross matter to respond to stimulus, can enter in that
assembled matter.

The law is wherever and whenever the upaadhis - both
gross and subtle are capable of reflecting the
consciousness, they will.

Scientists do not create life.

Hari Om!
Sadananda