[Advaita-l] The Atman

Sriram Krishnamurthy asksriramjobs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:33:25 CDT 2007

Nothing on the objective side can touch the subject. This ever-persisting
Self which is the Eternal Subject, is not capable of proof, nor does it need
any. It is self-proved. It is the basic substratum of every act of
knowledge, and vivifies every organ and faculty. This universal Self becomes
confused with the empirical self owing to mental impurities. When we break
through the ring of the smoke round the Self, unwrap the sheaths which cover
it, we achieve here and now, in the physical body, the destiny of our being.
The "I", the "Atman" which is infinitely simple, is a trinity of
transcendent Reality, Awareness and Freedom.

Cheers,
Sriram