[Advaita-l] advaita in one Sloka

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 5 12:55:13 CST 2007

shrii S.N. Sastri mahOdaya |

namo namaH |

Thank you very much for having pointed out for all of us the enlightening
verse of the nArAyaNIyam (98.7).

I decided to copy your quotation in a separate file in order to be able to
use it also at a later time. Moreover, I also tried to convert it into
devanAgarI by using Itranslator; but the result was not up to my
expectations. I suspected and easily came to the conclusion that your
encoding was not pure Itrans but a mix of several encoding systems,
especially for the sibilant sh (instead of shh or Sh) and the vowel ri (R
instead of R^i or RR).

If I am right, to be read properly by Itranslator the text of the shloka in
Itrans should have been:

bhUshhAsu svarNavadvA jagati ghaTaSarAvAdike mR^ittikAvat

tattve sa~ncintyamAne sphurati tadadhunApyadvitIyam vapuste |

svapnadrashhTuH prabodhe timiralayavidhau yadva-

dvidyAlAbhe tathaiva sphuTamapi vikaset kR^ishhNa tasmai namaste ||

instead of

bhUshAsu svarNavadvA jagati ghaTaSarAvAdike mRttikAvat

tattve sancintyamAne  sphurati tadadhunApyadvitIyam vapuste |

svapnadrashTuH  prabodhe  timiralayavidhau yadva-

dvidyAlAbhe tathaiva sphuTamapi vikaset kRshNa tasmai namaste ||

I do apologize for being once more the hair-splitter and fussy member of the
list. Any person proficient in Sanskrit will have of course corrected these
minor defects straight and by himself (without waiting for me), but this
finicky message may also perhaps be of some help for others and namely
beginners in Sanskrit. I do hope my attempt will not be misinterpreted.

Yours in Lord GuruvayUrappan!

Guy Werlings