[Advaita-l] Importance of Ashram

Karthik Subramanian karthikvathula at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 22:52:26 CST 2007

Hi,

  I don't think I stated that the guidance of a Guru is not necessary for enlightenment. On the contrary, it is my firm belief that just with the grace of the Guru, the highest knowledge is conferred upon the sadhaka. I seemed to infer from Anuj's message that some spiritual giants attained enlightenment without the interference of a Guru. That was the reason for my questions. Even though Ramana Maharshi was not guided by a physical Guru, he says that it was Arunachaleshwara who graced him as a Guru in Aksharamanamalai.

  || Na Guror Adhikam Tatvam Na Guror Adhikam Tapah ||

  Regards,
Karthik

Krishnamurthy Ramakrishna <puttakrishna at verizon.net> wrote:
  Hi Karthik,
RamaNa maharshi also was enlightened out of his own experience. Enlightening
out of one's own experience is advaita. If a guru is not the instrument,
it does not mean there was no hand of guru; It goes without saying that the
guru led him up to that stage in the prior life or lives. All that was
needed in that particular life was a trigger to bring out that experience
and enlightenment. The role of a guru is never overstated. Can you receive
a PhD degree without the advice of a PhD or equivalent experience?
Regards,
Krishnamurthy Ramakrishna.