[Advaita-l] Regarding conduct of Swamijis

Karthik Subramanian karthikvathula at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 00:41:00 CST 2007

Namaste,

  I had the good fortune of attending a programme recently where a distinguished person spoke about an incident concerning Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidya Tirtha Mahaswamigal (Mahasannidhanam), the 35th Peetadhipathi of Sringeri Sharada Peetam. I thought quoting the same might be relevant in this context.

  At the feet of Acharyal,
  Karthik

  Once when Sri Mahasannidhanam was camping in Madurai, Iyer went along with a friend of his, Chettiar, to have darshan. Acharyal emerged after finishing the Chandramoulishwara Puja and came near Iyer. In his palm he held the sandal paste and flowers that adorned Sri Chandramoulishwara. Iyer introduced the Chettiar to Acharyal. After blessing the Chettiar, Acharyal dropped into his hands the sandal paste and flowers and went to his room.

  A few people that were assembled around called Iyer privately and told him that he had committed a great mistake. They said that since he introduced Chettiar to Acharyal, Acharyal was forced to give him the prasadam and since Chettiar was not a Brahmin, Acharyal might have forgo bhiksha that day. Iyer was deeply disturbed upon hearing this and did not know how to react. At this juncture, the personal assistant of Acharyal told Iyer that Acharyal wanted to see him. Iyer went to Acharyal's room and prostrated. Acharyal asked him what was the commotion outside and Iyer appraised Acharyal about what had transpired and begged pardon for any mistake of his.

  Acharyal immediately remarked, "What is this foolishness!!! Who said I give prasadams only to Brahmanas? Am I a Jagadguru or a guru of the brahmanas only?"

Regards,
Karthik