[Advaita-l] mithyA from archives

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 10:31:17 CST 2007

Dear Sri Prem,

Apologies for the delayed response on this one. Have been tied up with
a few things of late.

On 30/11/2007, prem d p <prem_d_p at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>   i found the problem of fundamental particle vs. advaita
> as very intellectually stimulating. i think the problem
> is a litmus test of our understanding of advaita!

Sri Amuthan's responses seemed to indicate that my question was
somehow ill-formed. Perhaps it was but I still haven't clearly
understood why, though I did appreciate some of the points he made. I
am glad that you attempted a different response.

>   the problem pointed out by sri ramesh is, i believe,
> that the fundamental particle not being a 'sanghata'
> can exist for itself. thus we have our self and its self,
> apparently compromising advaita.

Indeed, that is what I was indicating.

>   but the interior of the postulated fundamental particle
> ie. the 'thing in itself' or noumenon, by virtue of being
> non-differentiable from the Self, sruti declares
> tat tvam asi. thus according to sruti the Self of the
> observer is non-different from the 'essence' of the object.

I couldn't understand the above. Rather, it appears to me that one
cannot make any claim regarding the relationship between the self of
the observer and the essence of the object. From your statement above,
we can never say whether the two are identical or different.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your response. I am quite sure this issue has
a solution within the framework of Advaita-Vedanta, but it requires
more study on my part.

Ramesh