[Advaita-l] on avatAra

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 06:46:28 CST 2007

Namaste,

I personally do not understand terms like
"jIvanmukta", in an absolute sense hence I will not
attempt to reconcile avatAra concept with it.

Using a more pragmatic approach towards vedanta that
is certainly advaitic in its flavor, we can explain
avatAra as follows:

Please follow the explanation of "Path1", and "Path2"
in posts below:
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2007-March/019140.html
http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2007-April/019371.html

In Path2, advanced puruSa-s, after their stay in bhU
loka, will continue to exist in highly evolved loka-s
like vaikunTha, kailAs, ... depending on the exact
nature of saguNa brahma upAsanA undertaken by them in
bhU loka.

If there is a need for "taking care of some issues"
in the bhU loka, these advanced puruSa(s) may choose
to spend some time again in bhU loka. These are
the avatAra-s.

Where does the prArabdha karma necessary to take
birth in bhU loka come from? These advanced puruSa-s
likely understand prakRti/ mAyA well enough to
invoke the appropriate vidyA needed to generate
the required karma.
(this ability to generate or destroy karma should be
considered a pragmatic equivalent of jIvanmukta)

Regards,
Shrinivas