[Advaita-l] BrahmaGYAna and jIvanmukti - 5 (Other References)

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 20:46:05 CST 2007

--- jagannathan mahadevan <jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Kartik,
>
> This is my understanding of your last (#5) post.
>
> I think that the point that you are trying to convey is that the
> sAdhana-chatushhTaya is a necessary prerequisite for someone to
> even
> sit and listen to the vEda SAstra and the mahAvAkya.

Actually, no!

I think you need to read the very first posting in the series at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2006-October/018518.html

---
Thus, JMV's thesis can also be stated as:

  Firm sAdhana-chatushhTaya   -->  Firm BrahmaGYAna    =   mukti

  Infirm sAdhana-chatushhTaya --> Infirm BrahmaGYAna  =/=  mukti
---

Therefore, it is possible for BrahmaGYAna to be samyak (perfect), and
aparoksha (direct or immediate), and yet asthitam (unsteady).

All of us know Brahman, but only indirectly. Even for one who has
direct knowledge of Brahman, mukti is not achieved. One needs both
direct as well as knowledge of Brahman for mukti.

Regards,
Kartik