[Advaita-l] Reconciling current research with Advaitic theory of mind

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:31:18 CST 2007

Pranams Amuthan:

You have used the term personality. I would like to clarify my understanding
of this term so that we are on the same boat. It is important since
split-brain persons do not have multiple personalities like schizophrenics.
They think they are the same person before and after surgery but their mind
works like two independent minds.

I would like to repeat some of the stuff of my last mail (sorry for that)
but wish to stress some points this time around. The first is that the left
and right hemispheres show marked differences in functionalities as noted
by:
 "The left hemisphere was shown to be *logical, analytic*, quantitative,
rational and *verbal*, whereas the right hemisphere was revealed to be *
conceptual*, holistic, intuitive, *imaginative *and *non-verbal*."

Due to this, when the patient's right brain was asked what he wanted to
become, he said a draftsman *since that side is imaginative and
conceptul*while the left side said automobile racer
*since that side is analyitic and logical*.

While this test may be subjective to some extent, the second test wherein
"An experiment was done by flashing a word so the right hemisphere of the
brain would interpret the information. When the patient wrote down the word
his left hand wrote down the correct word flashed. *But when asked what he
wrote done the patient did not know*. *Since the brain was split the
information that was given to the right half could not relay the message to
the left side*"

My interpretation of this is that the verbal ability is controlled by the
left side and since it did not have the information as to what was written,
the patient could not say what the word was.

In summary, the experments show that the mind (or manas) is not working as
an integrated whole due to the fact that the brain has been split. However,
the individual halves continue to function as before. Two interpretations
are possible for this:
a. the mind is a physiological process of the brain and splitting the
latter has caused a split in the mind
b. the mind exists independently but due to the fact that the brain has
been damaged (I mean operated here)  it functions in the manner described
above

Now b. is what Vedanta would hold but it does not seem to a very strong
case. As far as I can tell, it is a hypothesis that is not disproved by the
experiments above but at the same time, it is weak in that it gives not a
clue as to why it should be the case. Now you have attempted to explain this
via vAsanAs/saMskArAsbut I don't know if that could explain it fully. After
all, vAsanAs/saMskArAsare based on previous births and so would vary from
person to person and might explain why some persons turn schizophrenics.
However, the above is an experiment which is repeatable in all patients who
have undergone such brain surgery.

Pranams, Mahesh