[Advaita-l] Reconciling current research with Advaitic theory of mind

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 00:32:50 CST 2007

Pranams Amuthan:

>> what surprises me (if i have understood you correctly) is that you
>> seem to have no problems accepting rebirth (which cannot be
>> 'objectively' established), but are somehow interested in refuting the
>> independent existence of manas. if you accept rebirth, then the
>> content of manas is precisely that which transmigrates after death.

When the present Dalai Lama was asked the question - "Would you drop your
belief in rebirth if science 'proved' that it does not exist?"
He was quick to answer - "Yes" but then added - "but how would science go
about doing it?"

I am in a similar situation. I accept all aspects of Vedanta but if
'objective science' were to question the validity of some facet of its
teaching then I would like to understand that particular facet better so
that I am convinced it has not been falsifed. Hence this thread. Now you
point to the pAta~njala yoga shAstra as the ideal means to study this aspect
of Vedanta. I would agree. In fact, I have heard that adepts in this shAstra
have used their subtle bodies to travel to different places and then return
back to their gross body to resume living a 'normal' life. But the point of
this post was to understand how this was possible in the light of what these
experiments seem to indicate.

Pranams, Mahesh