SSS and Madhva (was Re: [Advaita-l] Review of MarthaDoherty'scomments on Sri Satchidanandendra Sarasvati)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Feb 28 17:31:02 CST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Stig Lundgren <slu at bredband.net> wrote:
>>
>>  Dear Kartik,
>>

>> >  It occurs to me that there isn't much difference between SSS and the
>> >  dvaitins.
>> >

>>  I´m sorry to hear that. May I suggest some further study of SSS´s works,
>>  perhaps? :-)
>>

> This is precisely the reason that I took care to point out that Kartik
> was talking about the common obsession with *terminology*, not about
> philosophy.

Nevertheless this line of criticism creates more heat than light.  Let's
keep the conversation on a higher level shall we?  Also Kartiks last reply
to Bhaskar got a little personal and that is not the kind of atmosphere
we want on advaita-l.

My 2 cents.  I don't think I buy all of Swami Sacchidanandendras' critique
but it does not strike me as being outside the realm of Advaita tradition
and the efforts to portray him as outside the sampradaya seem a bit
strained.  But if people are using that critique to avoid the later
Vedantins that's a grave mistake.  Advaita Vedanta developed the way it
did for good reasons.