[Advaita-l] shaDdarhana and other unorthodox schools

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:58:05 CST 2007

Just to add...

On 24/01/07, Ram Garib <garib_ram at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> I have had occasion to be associated with Indian
> Council of Philosophical Research. Though, a
> bureaucrat's opinion about academic matters hardly
> means anything yet even with my limited understanding
> of philosophy I have felt embarassed by the quality of
> research going in indian philosophy. You can see the
> same old arguments being parroted in research papers
> about their stand being "true" without even making any
> effort to clarify what they mean by "true": Is it
> contingent true or necessary true or analytic or de
> re?; and then jumping from one class to another class
> as per their convenience. No wonder such imprecisely
> constructed arguments and research would seem too
> infantile to a western philosopher to even take any
> notice.

Response:

That philosophy is an academic matter that can be an object of
research at a university is in itself a western idea. It's true that
we use the term 'acharya' for our sages & scholars, but they are quite
different from the typical university professor.

Just as a bureaucrat's opinion about academic matters means nothing,
an academic's opinion about our darshana-s means nothing.

Ramesh