[Advaita-l] Re: on advaita and society

Ramanathan P p_ramanathan at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 20:28:30 CST 2007

> > Sri Kris Manian wrote:
> >
> > > I believe Ramana said that (Cmiiw) you dont have
> > > be saMnyasI to achive
> > > what he did, in an interview.

Sri Ramana was free of the delusion that we find
ourselves in.

Have you ever met a person in some delusional state
and
tried to convince him/her otherwise? You cannot
understand their problem, and they cannot understand
your easy solution.

The solution for the free soul will always be simple,
and to the bound, any such will appear impossible.

(Sri Ramana (as I recall) also has said that he told
a person who
asked about renouncing to go back to the world, since
if he was ready, the question would not have arisen:
he would have simply renounced)

A person entangled in the world and its obligations is
less likely (as we may know) to commit to the
religious path in the manner of a Ramana Maharshi.

Sannyasa is the best framework for 99% of seekers
where these ideals can be realized. The sages affirm
this after finding out. There will always be
exceptional cases, but the common rule is this austere
path, wherein there is “I” and “God” alone and all of
the mind's potencies can be channelized to finding the
Unity between.

For the rest of us, practice of Advaita occurs in deep
sleep (!), and if we are fortunate enough to have
life’s tests and tribulations, for which the world
cannot be of help, these life saving principles can be

“practiced” and understood. It is a longer process
that
hopefully will lead us to the end.

Ramanathan