[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 45, Issue 23

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 02:44:57 CST 2007

On 29/01/07, Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> For some enlightened souls who have gathered spiritual merit over many
> lifetimes--the second type, formal investiture into sannyasa might not be
> necessary but renunciation of the world inevitably follows anyway.
> Maharshi Yajnavalkya is a good example of this.

Apart from Maharshi Yajnavalkya, I think Ramana Maharshi is a great
example of this in recent times.

For that matter, it is not clear whether Sankara took "formal"
sannyasa at any time. It is possible that his guru initiated him when
the two met on the banks of the Narmada, but Sankara had already
renounced the world by then.