[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 22 - On the discussion On 'Mandukyopanishad

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 23 15:43:26 CDT 2007

sarvebhyo namaH |

SrI N. Srikanta wrote:

quote:

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:26:06 +0530 (IST)
From: srikanta at nie.ac.in
Subject: [Advaita-l] On the discussion On 'Mandukyopanishad and
Gaudapada Karikas" by Sri Guy Werlings
To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org

I followed Sri Guy Werling's Email(June 21,2007) on the above topic.There
have been many misinterpretations by many scholars on the Gaudapada
Karikas.This is what I have been referring to in my Email.There has been
no separate and  direct Email to me as mentioned by Sri.Guy Werlings.
                                                     N.Srikanta.

unquote.

If I understand this properly (There has been no separate and direct Email
to me as mentioned by Sri.Guy Werlings)
 SrI Srikanta says here above that I am just a plain liar.

This being the case, I am sending hereafter the e-mail  I received from Srii
N.Srikanta:

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in

mardi 19 juin 2007 08:09

Your Email in the advaita list,June 18,2007

Dear sir
I read your Email in the Advaita list regarding Sri ravi's guide lines.You
have said "Certain A-L members,while they pose to be Advaitins are infact
behaving more or less like the dvaitins criticized in the mandukya Karika
III-17.The non-dualist never quarrels with any one."

I would like to know with what reference you are saying this.Is it on any
point discused in the list?I am following some of the points on advaitha
vedantha.I have done considerable research on the Mandukyopanishad and the
Gaudapada karikas.I hereby request you to kindly mention the points of the
members you have mentioned above.

Thanking You,                                           with regards,
                                                         N.Srikanta.

To this message, I answered as follows:

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr

mercredi 20 juin 2007 13:43

To srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in

Re: Your Email in the advaita list,June 18,2007

Dear Sir,

As mentioned in the post of mine to which you are referring I first wrote:
"I am outright aware that I by hammering it in, I might soon be irritating
quite a few (if not all) members, although it is not at all in my
 intention." Such being the case, it is all the more distressing for me if
it is a person like you that felt offended by my message. You are certainly
the last person in the A-L to whom my remarks should apply; and I am still
thinking with gratefulness to the useful and very helpful clarification you
brought to me on the subject of "anubhava and anubhUti".

As a fact the message that you are founding objectionable (18/06 - 5:30)
came as an addition to a previous one of 15/06 - 15:43 also on shrii Ravi's
guide lines. And it is now quite obvious that I was completely way off beam
in hammering the same fact in. My intention was not at all to denigrate or
to hold any particular member of the list to public obloquy. As I wrote, it
happens that I remain sometimes under the impression (maybe false) that many
members are just debating for the pleasure of debating and for establishing
that their own conclusions (svasidhAnta) are right and that the others are
wrong. But I consider and if necessary proclaim that just trying to
establish that one is right and that the other is wrong is by no means a
philosophical attitude - the only aim of philosophy is the search of Truth
(tattvArtha vicAra) and not to find satisfaction in one's own matAni,
opinions and beliefs.

This possibly false impression of mine does not refer to any recent specific
thread or to any member in particular (I am not keeping any tracks nor
statistics on the matter); it is more a kind of general attitude, showing
one has not yet reached the level of philosophy but is still lingering at
the lower level of theology. In philosophy, it is only truth «tattva», based
puruSha tantra». Taking this into consideration, I even now avoid reading
messages on the list showing a flavour of debate.

You mention that you have done considerable research on the Mandukyopanishad
and the Gaudapada karikas.

Although you probably do not care, I can tell you that I have been doing
approximately the same thing for the past 45 years, with a difference on
which you will perhaps not agree. As far as I am concerned, I cannot say
that I have been doing much "research" but as per the recommendation of my
vEdAnta teacher, I have been frequenting daily the MANDUkya KArikA. My
teacher considered that by studying a Scripture or a philosophical text, you
bring down the text to your own present level of consciousness while by
frequenting (reading it aloud) every day, you bring up gradually your level
of consciousness to the level of the text, so that in the end the real
meaning of the text can flow out from the text into your consciousness.
Accordingly I am proceeding as follows: on Mondays I am reading the chapter
1, on Tuesdays chapter 2, on Wednesdays chapter 3 - and as the chapter 4 is
fairly long, I am splitting it into four parts of 25 shloka-s that I read
respectively on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. In this way, I am
covering the full KArikA in one week. It is only in case of needs that a
resort to a word for word translation or to shrii shaN^kara bhAshhya.

I am offering to you and my most sincere apologies for offending you; if you
accept them and if you don't ask to the Moderators of the A-L to fire me out
for my unworthy behaviour, I should be glad to have the possibility to keep
in touch with you from time to time for possible questions about the KArikA.

With all my best but sorry regards,

Guy W. (gi not gai verliN^gs)

-This was the clarification from the bloody French liar to whomsoever it may
concern!

pranAms |

G.W. (jidobolyu)