Sringeri and Sureshvara (was Re: [Advaita-l] On recent mails thelisthas see

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 10:35:18 CST 2007

On 3/4/07, Stig Lundgren <slu at bredband.net> wrote:
> Dear Vidyashankar,
>
> Many thanks for your kind and clarifying reply!
>

> > Also, in terms of teaching Indian philosophy, Sringeri does not neglect
> even
> > non vedAnta schools. It is documented that the first philosophy schooling
> of
> > SrI bhAratI tIrtha, the current Sringeri AcArya, began with a vaiSeshika
> > text, before even taking up vedAnta. They aim for a solid grounding in all
> > the important darSana-s, with an encyclopedic scope.
>

> I have a question regarding Tarka-studies: Do you know what works H.H.
> Bharati Tirtha Swamigal (and other acharyas before him) did study? Did he
> start with Sri Annam Bhatta´s Tarka Sangraha, and then moved on to other
> Tarka works?

As far as I can recollect, the tarka samgraha of annambhaTTa is an
advaitic work. I may be mistaken here.

I suggest the 2 volume set by D.S.Subbaramayya on the Dakshinamurti
Stotram, published by the Sringeri Mutt. The books are very
comprehensive and was written at the command of Sri Mahasannidhanam
himself. Sri Mahasannidhanam praises his disciple (the author Sri
Subbaramayya) as both a vidvaan and also one who has direct experience
of the reality. It presents all view points, bhAmatI, vivaraNa, etc.,
and show how they are all applicable. Interestingly the view of SSS is
notable by its *complete* absence. The books were published towards
the end of Sri Mahasannidhanam tenure (1998-1990 time period).

Sri Candrashekhara Bharati Swamigal was also first trained in pUrva
mImAmsA and tarka. He was attending a special school for mImAmsA in
Bangalore (if I remember right) when his guru passed away. A formal
training in both mimAmsA and tarka is absolutely essential to properly
understand shankara.

Rama