[Advaita-l] Sringeri AchAryas on the VivaraNa - the cause of adhyAsa

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:22:26 CST 2007

Dear Bhaskar,

You give very inventive explanations for everything.

But note that even SSS himself finds this verse problematic, and
ascribes it a "scribal error" in one of his books. I have no desire to
dig up the page numbers at this point of time. Nothing I say will
change anything will it? You'll just deluge us with quotations from
various other places, which have no connection with the verse under
discussion. Talk about extreme data-mining.

First read a verse as it is, and the adjacent verses in *that work*.
It is clear Sureshvara does not do any such thing as you say below,
which is precisely the case SSS himself  finds it problematic.

BTW, do you know that SSS himself reluctantly admits that Gaudapada
uses maayaa in the sense of avidyaa (exactly equivalent)?

Rama