[Advaita-l] adherence to sampradaya

NARAYANA MURTHY malahanikareswara at yahoo.co.in
Tue Mar 13 02:20:39 CDT 2007

Shankaracharya directs in viveka chudamani that a sishya , jignyAsu perse, should approach a guru who is defined :

  "shrothriyha avrujinaha akAmahathaha yo brahma vithamaha"

  "BrahmaNi uparathaha SAthaha ninrindhana iva  analaha
  ahethuka dayasindhuhu  banduhu AnamatAm satAm"

  beforehand while specifying prequalifications of sishyaa it has been defined "Medavi purusho vidwan oohapohavichakshanaha"

  this has been interpretted by Sh.Chandrasekara bharathi swaminah that a jignyasu should have pArangathA in VyakaraNa, MImAmsa and NyAya shashtras.

  Reading together both, it appears a guru sishya vasordhara is contemplated by acharya shankara.  A further derivation is a tradition which evolves out of the vasordhara.

  I desire to understand how important is sampradaya to a jignyAsu.

  True, Sh.RamaNa Maharishi did not follow any tradition.  If I am not wrong, he did not even had a guru to guide him to attain brahmagnyAa.

  That of Sh.RamaNa Maharishi's anubhuthi per se appears a nisheda and not vidhi.

  Regards
  N.Murthy