[Advaita-l] Re: A Myth About Sankara (was Re: jnAna-vijnAna, ...)

Ravi Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:09:33 CDT 2007

Shyam <shyam_md at ...> writes:

>   I find it difficult to believe that a student of advaita can question
Bhagawan Shankara's authority as a
> revealer of what Mother Shruti conveys.

namaste Shyam,

I think the hierarchy posted by Kartik in the first message of this thread does
not question the authority at all. It puts into a good and correct perspective.

If you accept Sankara is correct and follow him with shraddha, then you have no
or should have no issue with it.

But it provides a scope for a person  to prove that either Sankara's view or the
interpretation of one of subsequent Acharya's view on a particular topic is not
valid. To do that, they have a mechanism to go back to Shruti and smrti and show
that (after exhausting all reasonable interpretations of the shruti vakya) that
particular view is not valid. And the original post supported this with an apt
example using Sureshwara.

I do not think SSS (Sri Satchitanandendra Saraswati svAminaH) abbreviation was
used with disrespect. It was used to make typing easier, as the name was
referred frequently. Sometimes that sounds better than using pronouns like
"him", which people translate it from English to their native language in
singular instead of plural with respect (saH, tam  instead of te, taan).  I did
not know much about Sri Svamiji and thanks to Savithriji posting an article
about him.

With best wishes,
Ravi