[Advaita-l] RE: Guidelines on discussions about Swami Saccidanandendra Sarasvati

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 21:19:24 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Werlings,

It is good to see a post from you after such a long time. We could all
certainly benefit from your words backed by long experience.

>is right or wrong is not going to vanish,
>    ^^^^^^^^^^-> emphasis mine;

... ...

>questions in order to clarify any point that might have been imprecise to
>somebody in the audience, but I always refused to indulge in any kind of
>debate; the reason was that from previous experience, when you start a
>debate, one of the protagonists just tries to prove that he is right and
>that the other is wrong, but none of them is searching for truth - and it
>is only truth «tattva»,

Unfortunately, that often happens. On the other hand, the traditional Indian
view has been "vAde vAde jAyate tattvabodhaH." If by the word vAda, we
intend dialogue, then one can indeed keep truth as the goal, instead of
getting distracted by negative connotations of the word debate.

>·                     Another of my own guidelines was formulated like
>this: «whatever is not indispensable to do, it is indispensable not to do -
>whatever is not indispensable to think, say or write, it is in dis pensable
>not to think, say or write».

That would also be a wise course to follow for all of us.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar