[Advaita-l] Re: On the parakAyapraveSa legend about Sankara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:05:22 CDT 2007

Whenever we question something based on our knowledge/perspective, we should
ask ourselves, "How do we know what we know?" Then we should ask ourselves,
"Are we so special that we know better than everybody else?"

When it comes to the life of Sankara bhagavatpAda, yes, there are many
different versions available in the Sankara digvijaya texts. To add to
these, we have what I call an anti-hagiography, emanating primarily from
authors belonging to the dvaita school, like maNimanjarI etc. Incidents like
the parakAyapraveSa episode are found in multiple texts, again narrated in
different ways.

Given this situation, the only comment I wish to make about this discussion
is that it is absolutely wrong to single out the author of the mAdhavIya
Sankaradigvijaya and castigate him for concocting a story that does
discredit to Sankara. Right at the beginning, the author of mAdhavIya
clearly states that he has gathered material from various older sources
(purA Sankara jaye sAraH sangRhyate). He goes on to indicate this when he
says, "some say this, others say that (iti kecit, ity apare etc). Comments
such as "would the author not have thought about the supposed implications
of the story?" and "would traditional authors not have edited it out, over
the centuries?" are certainly pertinent in this context. It is not at all an
issue of belonging to one or the other sampradAya and it is certainly not a
way of shutting out people who question it.

I can honestly claim to have done a fairly deep and critical comparative
study of most of the important Sankaravijaya texts written in Sanskrit. I
have not paid much attention to the many other accounts that have cropped up
in various Indian languages over the last 150 years or so. The resulting
work has been published in The International Journal of Hindu Studies in
2000, in an article titled "Conflicting Hagiographies and History". The
reason I am bringing this up is not for self advertisement, but to point out
that it takes a lot of time and effort to understand the poetic conventions,
the language usage, the possible corruptions in the text during its
transmission, the variations between different manuscripts/editions of the
same text etc. Having spent more than five years of doing this before
writing up my article, I know that my study is nowhere near being
comprehensive even with respect to the major texts that I have studied.
Going from this to the next level of talking about the motivations of the
author takes another deeper level of thought. One has to therefore start by
not prejudging anything and by giving a fair reading to the authors.

>From my side, at least, I am simply sounding a note of caution, to

1. Not assume that our attitudes and assumptions about sexual matters and
saMnyAsa norms are always correct,

2. Not assume that over the centuries, everyone had (or should have had) the
same attitudes and assumptions,

3. Not assume that traditional people have been so dense in their minds that
they could not see what you and I see today in these legends,

4. Not assume that rivalries and politics among various institutions are
paramount to the authors of the various Sankaravijaya texts,

5. Develop the ability to question ourselves in the same way that we
question others.

Praveen has already brought up another legend attributed to Sankara, namely
of his performing his mother's last rites and whether you would call that
contrary to saMnyAsa dharma too. We also have another story where caste
issues are brought up. Siva appears as an untouchable in the path and
Sankara asks him to move away. The untouchable then asks highly vedAntic
questions and Sankara then realizes that he still carries a caste bias in
his mind. One can again say, this episode is concocted only to discredit
Sankara. The brahmajnAnI that he was, he would not have carried any such
prejudice and he would have seen brahman everywhere. He would never have
ordered the untouchable out of his way at all.

To come up with criticisms like this is very easy, but they miss the point
conveyed by such stories. Our mythology is full of stories where even
brahmA, Siva, vishNu and devI are cursed by somebody or the other. If we
think that these stories were concocted by Saivas to discredit vishNu or
vaishNavas to discredit Siva or any such combination like that, we certainly
miss the morals and allegories behind them.

Finally, if you turn around and say, "yes, these are not historical facts,
but only legend" my answer is, "Of course, they are legend. But legends
about historical personalities grow around a kernel of historical fact." The
fact that the same legend is repeated in multiple versions by multiple
authors means not only that each author uses a bit of poetic license, but
also that he built his version around a core story that was handed down to
him. Certainly, the form of a legend can morph in various ways, but to think
that we, in this day and age, know much better and can unravel it all
correctly, and to criticize everybody else who says there must be a reason
why something persists in the tradition, reveals a lot of arrogance and
superior feeling, both about our own intellects and about our bhakti towards
Sankara bhagavatpAda.

Do ask yourselves this once in a while - five hundred years down the line,
is someone else going to criticize me the same way I am criticizing those
who lived and wrote a few centuries ago? After all, your remote descendants
are going to live in very different social and historical situations and
they are going to have different attitudes about what is history, what is
legend and what is tradition, what is fact and what is fiction, or what does
credit or discredit towards someone like Sankara.

Vidyasankar