[Advaita-l] The deliberation on vidyA - avidyA in Advaita Vedanta

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 08:42:25 CDT 2007

Dear Sri Bhaskar

I think the difference between the views of your Mail, and Sri Ramakrishnan's Paper are due to certain fundamental differences, namely:

1. You insist that knowledge must be consistent with lokAnubhava.
2. You maintain avidyA is 'natural to the mind', whereas Sanakra bhagavtpAda only said it is 'naisargika', that is natural - he did not say it is natural to the mind.
3. You use the terminologies of nyAya and mImAmsA freely and yet do not want them to be used in the discussion; if we note both the darSanas were used freely by the bhagavatpAda, it is strange as to why you don't want to admist them to the discussion.

There might be others (I had not tried a focussed analysis), but to start with if you can show the pramANa for the above positions either from Sruti or bhAshyavAkya, it would be easier to accept the rules you set for discussion and discuss your Mail.

Regards
Senani