[Advaita-l] Fwd: SSS, avidyA, shrI Ramakrishnan

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:54:18 CDT 2007

On 5/29/07, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com> wrote:

> You are right in assuming that there is no direct refutation of Sri SSS by
> HH Bharati Tirtha. However, it does not take a genius to realize that HH is
> *summarily* rejecting the views of Sri SSS, or anyone like him for that
> matter, who claims to have found distortions of Shankara's teachings by his
> disciples and later advaitins. So what HH says in the introduction to
> Appayya Dikshita's work can and does apply to Sri SSS. HH does not go into
> how the summary rejection can be justified, probably because such
> justification has already been given in debates, articles, etc.

Thanks for this series of mails. You are indeed right that there is no
*published* refutation of SSS by shriisannidhanam. However, I know
that he doesn't consider SSS to have interpreted shankara correctly.
This was stated by him in a conversation to a very reliable source. I
usually am careful with second-hand information, but I am very, very
sure about the reliability of this source. Actually, this is what
prompted me to take a second, more thoughtful look at SSS's writings.

Of course, as you explained, the foreword I quoted from your mail,
explicitly goes against SSS's contentions anyway. A rose by any other
name, etc.

Rama