[Advaita-l] On Bhamati, Vivarana, SSS

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 11:22:07 CDT 2007

sarvebhyo namah

Sri Bhaskar writes with scholarship and great conviction. Here are some of the weak links:

* Forget all vaidika siddhantas, even some vedantic schools - for instance, dvaita, - do not admit of brahma-jIva aikyata, or they do in such a way - as viSishTAdvaita does - that it totally distorts the teachings of Upanishads, or introduces irreconcilable inconsistencies.
* Similarly not all schools accept j~nAna as the only means to moksha. To give but one example, pUrva-mImAmsA which had a fairly strong following during Sankara's time holds karma as the mokshasAdhana.
* BhagavatpAda's preface to gItAbhAshya proves the reverse of the thesis that there is near "unanimity" amongst rival schools regarding final conclusions.
* A part of evolution of advaita is also due to reaction to rival schools. It is well known that both Sri Ramanuja and Sri MadhvAchArya had a very thorough knowledge of SA~Nkara bhAshyas. Later Acharyas like Madhusudana Sarasvati had to counter the criticism of the Acharyas of other schools and that was one strand in the development of advaita vedanta.
* The teachings of either BhAmatI or VivaraNa school do not negate or violate the teachings of the BhagavatpAda: they treat certain aspects untouched by Sri Sankara differently, and they certainly do not constitute an alternate prakriya to Sankara's.
* "Brutally attacked each other" would project a picture quite different from the actual things said. I am saying this blindly: Let Sri Bhaskar show the three most brutal attacks by BhAmatI and three most brutal attacks by VivaraNa, so that the members of the list might understand how "brutal" the attacks were. It must also be remembered that there are more than twenty bhAshyas on the Brahma Sutras and not every reference to "others" is to Bhamati or VivaraNa.
* As to why bhashyas are required, consider these... Are vedas not self-sufficient? Since the vedic language is not difficult, why did we need the nyAya prasthAna, or the bhAshyas on upanishads? Why was there a need for an alternate advaita prakriya to the vaidika prakriya? Then, if the Brahma Sutras are so unintelligible, how did they serve as long as they did? Similarly, are we saying that Lord Sri Krishna's words need explanation or that another avatara is capable of / required to tell what Sri Krishna Parabramha's words mean? And, then further, why did we require prakaraNa granthas or stotras after the prasthAnatrayI was gifted to the world. The answers (as repeated many times on this list, adhikArabhedatvAt - due to difference in the preparedness / qualifications of the students) which we supply to the above also tell us why vArtikas and tIkas were written on bhAshyas.

tasmAt jAgratta
Senani