[Advaita-l] mithyA

prem d p prem_d_p at yahoo.co.in
Sun Nov 11 09:41:56 CST 2007

namaste...

  dear sri ramesh,

  thank you for the clarification.

  best regards,
  prem

Ramesh Krishnamurthy <rkmurthy at gmail.com> wrote:
  namaskAraH,

On 07/11/2007, prem d p
wrote:
> could you please elaborate on the excerpt below, for our benefit.
>
> 'What does the mithyatva of causality lead to? ajAtivAda.
>
> One can explain ajAtivAda without ever taking recourse to causal
> models such as pariNAmavAda & vivartavAda.'

** Many descriptions of advaita-vedAnta start by assuming a
cause-effect relationship between brahman and the world, only to
negate it later. The 2nd brahmasUtra "janmAdyasya yataH" is an example
of this.

Such a preliminary assumption is quite natural & useful, but if one
persists with it for too long, one may "get lost in the forest".
Personally, I feel that elaborate discussions on various kinds of
causality are a potentially risky diversion. They are probably more
relevant for debates with other schools.

Ramesh

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org