[Advaita-l] Rejoinder to Mr. Subramanya UH's comments

Sriram Krishnamurthy asksriramjobs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:17:06 CDT 2007

Dear Mr. Subramanya UH,

I think a list member had enlightened you that Nitya, Naimittika Karma lead
to Chitta Shuddhi, and this Chittha Shuddhi creates an ideal platform
for removing ignorance and helps to realize once true self. For example not
doing nitya karmas like Sandhyavandhana for those who have been initated
into the same through Upanayana is Pratyavaya, resulting in sin. Unless a
person is in Samadhi for days together, , it is paramount duty for a person
to adhere to his ordained dharmas.
              Note that the Sringeri Shankaracharya as name implies belongs
to the Guru Parampara which has Adi Shankaracharya as its origins. The
Swamiji has mentioned that the activities like reading spiritual books,
chanting the name of Ishwara and performing worship of God will help to
attain higher good which implies Chitta Shuddhi and ultimately which would
result in highest good, which is Brahma Nishtam. I hope you know the
difference by know. In the Bhavad Gita , the Karmas ordained by Lord Krishna
are Yagna(sacrifice which includes Japa Yagna), Dana(Satvika Charity) and
Tapas(Satvika Tapas).
                 I request you to read the Bhagavad Gita Bhashya of Sri
Shankaracharya which is the important component of the three components
called as Prasthanathraya, the others being Upanishads and Brahma Sutras,
before going to his works like Vivekachudamani, which is for eligible
advanced Sadhakas, who are in the fourth state namely Mumukshutvam of
Sadhana Chatushtayam, after achieving perfection in the first three of the
Sadhana Chatushtayam.

Om Tat Sat,
Sriram

Dear Sriramji.
It is stated by HE Shri shri Bharati Teertha Swamiji that One can attain
Godlihood  by doing the following

"If people spend their free time reading spiritual books, chanting the name
of Ishwara and performing worship of God, they will attain higher good"

I am reminded by one Stanza of "Viveka Chudamani"  by Shankaracharya wherein
it states:
"Vadantu ShastrANi Yajantu Devan, Kurvantu KarmANi Bhajantu DevatAha
Atmaikya BOdhena vinApi Muktihi na sidhyati brahma shatantarEpi."
Another he says "Na Yogena na SankhyEna karmaNA nO na VidyayA,
BrahmAtmaikabOdhEna MokShaha sidhyati nAdyatha"
and many more on the same issue.

Thus I feel that one cannot attain Godlihood or Moksha  just by reading
books or by chanting the Names of Ishwara or by performing the worship. They
have to remove Ajnana and realize the reality that "I am Brahman" and this
world is unreal.
However these will serve as a way/Marga to attain the 4th Purushartha.
Regards,
Subramanya UH