[Advaita-l] Clarification requested

UH SUBRAMANYA subramanya.uh at in.yokogawa.com
Tue Sep 18 22:45:32 CDT 2007

Dear Karthik,
To reinforce Amuthan's clarification, I would like to add the following:
Shri Shankaracharya  has stated " Brahma satyam jagan Mithya Jivo brahmaiva
na paraH", which means that the world in which we live is unreal and the
only reality is Brahman. Jeevathma is nothing but Brahman. To understand
what is Mithya ( Unreal) we have to understand what is Sathya, which is
defined by Shankara as " YadrUpenNa Yannishchitam TadrUpeNa na vyabhicharati
tat satyaM" which clearly states that Sathya is one which do not change with
time. Hence Mithya is the opposite of that. World is changing every moment.
He clarifies in Vivekachudamani with the following Shloka (252), the same
example Mr. Amuthan has given of Dream and Waking state.
"Nidrakalpita Deshakala vishaya Jnatradi sarvaM yathA MithyA tadvad Ihapi
Jagrati jagatswajnana KaryatvataH"
Hence this world is Unreal in Paramarthik Bhasha  (but it may appear true in
Loukik Bhasha).
There are innumerable quotes on this in various Books.
Regards,
Subramanya UH