[Advaita-l] Fw :Pourakutsa gotra abhivadya

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 01:45:43 CDT 2008

--- On Sun, 8/17/08, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The set of 3 (or 5 or sometimes even 7) rishis for a gotra
> is unique. No two gotra-s can share the same pravara.
> However, some gotra-s have multiple names.

The above may not be true if the following is:

--- On Tue, 8/19/08, sthanunathan Ramakrishnan <r_sthanu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I belong to the Pourakutsa gotra (from TamilNadu). The
> rishis name that we use match with the list given by Jaldhar
> (although not in the same order. It goes as angirasa,
> trasadasyu and pourakutsa. Is that important ?).

I can say with certainty that the same 3 Rishis belong to the SaThamarShaNa Gotra, because I belong to this Gotra. The order is slightly different: Angirasa, Paurukutsya and trAsadasya.

When I mentioned this to my father, he said that IF the Paurukutsa Gotra and SaThamarShaNa Gotra share the same 3 Rishis in their pravaras, then they are to be treated as sa-gotras, even though the actual Gotra name may be different.

I find it interesting that Amuthan was aware of the Rishis in the SaThamarShaNa Gotra, because I believe this is the most common Iyengar (Sri VaishNava) Gotra.

> The parukutsa
> gotra is also called vishNuvRddha, which is the name found
> in the nirNayasindhu and found in usage in the Maharashtra
> region. There seems to be some geographical and/or sectarian
> preference for using one or the other name for one's
> gotra.

Perhaps the SaThamarShaNa Gotra is also another name for the Paurukutsa Gotra?

Regards,
Kartik