[Advaita-l] What is Maya?

Guy Werlings werlings.guy at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 2 11:36:46 CST 2008

sarvebhyo namaH |

Although this does not bring much to the discussion, I should like to
contribute a small personal comment about the superb story of the 17 cows
mentioned below. This story was told to me by my VedAnta teacher in May 1963
when the latter came back from a one year-long stay in Kerala, inThrissUr
(then Trichur), where his own guru was born. In the story as he told me the
father left to his sons elephants and not cows as one may expect in
ThrissUr. The despaired sons when they saw that the elephants were in the
indivisible number of 17 turned themselves (not to a passing sage but) to
their father's guru in VadakunnAtha mandira for a proper advice; the latter
explained he had been given one elephant many years earlier by their father
and that he accepted to lend them his own elephant to facilitate the solving
of their problem but he also insisted to get back his elephant after they
would have made their division, which they could do as explained below. In
May 1963 being only 17 1/2-year-old and having studied VedAnta and sanAtana
dharma for only two years, being as much ignorant as I remain today I did
not understood the story as an example of MAyA but more as a good
illustration of gurushiShyabandha.
See...what is good with ignorance is that you can at least retain your
illusions and survive.

navavarShasya shubhAshayAH |

vandananAni |
Guy W.