[Advaita-l] nitya karma and job

latha vidyaranya lathavidya at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jul 2 00:27:41 CDT 2008

hari om
namaste

in my humble opinion, the nitya karmas are the obligatory duties to be done on a daily basis, like, the sandhya and nitya pooja. naimittika karmas are the obligatory duties done on special occasions, like, on the day of eclipse, the annual ceremony of the pitris (shraadhdha) etc. these two kinds of karmas are ordained by the vedas in order to pay back the debts (obligations or rinas) of deva, pitri and rishis. they also help to cleanse the mind (chittha shuddhi)  and thus prepare the antahkarana to realize the brahman.

whereas the occupational duties (our daily jobs) are not vaidhika karmas and hence do not fall under either nitya or naimittika karmas. they are vyavahaaric karmas to fulfill the social obligations. having born as a human being and for taking the help of the society to grow up and make a living, we are all obligated to pay back this debt to the society. i think this is a bhootha rina that is to be fulfilled.

namaste