[Advaita-l] Dinosaurs and Puranas

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Sun Jul 6 20:23:56 CDT 2008

Namaste to all,

May I humbly add on to what Lathaji had shared. The wisdom and content of our scriptures primarily satisfy three criteria, which are:

1. anadhigata - unique knowledge not revealed in any other body of knowledge
2. abadhita - not negated by other means of knowledge (pratyaksadi....)
3. hita - beneficial

What is beneficial (hita) to us comes in two forms which is preyas (Dharma) & sreyas (moksa). The knowledge of dinosaurs (you can include modern knowledge of cellphones too) is not found in our sastras because it leads you to neither preyas nor sreyas. This could be reason for its omission.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K