[Advaita-l] varNAsharama system at the time of shankara

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Mon Jul 7 03:33:48 CDT 2008

Namaste Lathaji,

You have discussed a very controversial topic beautifully. However, when discussing Sankara's views we must bear in mind that Sankara very much followed the stipulations of the Dharmasastra of his times when writing his bhasyas and granthas. I would not blame him for sticking to the norms laid by the Dharmsasastras because we too at present adhere to the societal norms of today as much as we can when conducting our daily lives. Sankara did the same during his time because women were not taught the Vedas during his times and hence would be assumed to be not capable of understanding the cryptic verses of the Vedas. Hence, the smrtis are recommended for their study and spiritual evolution.

In fact Sankara's disciple Suresvara disagrees with Sankara on the eligibility of Sannyasa for dvijas in his varttika. This comes to show that Dharma is not entirely static. For example, one Dharma sastra permitted even the upanayana samskara for women.

However, even today people will quote the sruti and smrti to show support that women are barred from Vedic study. And then there is another school that would show support from sruti and smrti that women are permitted to study the Veda. The former believe that all Dharmas are static while the latter believe that only samanya dharma is static while Visesa Dharma is dynamic.

Sankara's statement referring to 'stri, bala and jada' is bound by time, place and circumstances if we were to take it literally. Even the gita has a similar line which considers women as of lower birth (ch 9). However in the case of the implied meaning which you have beautifully shared, the value is timeless. I believe that if Sankara would have written the daksinamurti stotram today, he would have definitely omitted the 'stri' from the string.

Warmest Regards,
Kathirasan K