[Advaita-l] mental effort

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 02:00:28 CDT 2008

praNAm all,

Hari Om, Vishy-ji,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Vishy <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Atleat the person  who had tasted  (Yogi) can attempt others too to taste.... even without knwing the word ' sweet'

Pardon my intruding here, but here's exactly where the problem lies. I
do immensely respect experience, but without knowing *what* that
experience is about, one cannot teach others, let alone make others
experience the same. Thats where the shrotriya qualification of a Guru
comes in. So, its not one thing *or* the other, but *both* experience
of brahmajnAna and being well-read in brahmatattva. To give but a
simple example, everyone has an experience of deep sleep (or avasthA
traya), but what use is that experience if we don't have the knowledge
that it helps understand turiyA or the nature of Atman?

gurorarpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */