[Advaita-l] law of karma

narayan iyer z1e1b1r1a at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 10:36:58 CDT 2008

Pranams,

Being a relatively a new member of the Group, I was browsing through the messages in archives.  I was facinated by the explanation of erudite members and a few quotations and responses given by HH Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati.  My limited intellect is consumed by the following doubts:

1. Does the phala-sutras of many stotras, saharasnamams, stuties etc. exaggerate 100% that sins will be expunged if the stotras etc. recited with bhakti, when the fact is law of karma is inexorable.

2. Does Hindu dharma subscribe to retribution (because it is said that Ishwara will be otherwise partial towards some if he doesnt give the fruits of karma to sinngers)

3. Would it be in order to compare law of gravity to law of karma (as given in examples of immutablity of law) because (a) law of gravity works on physical objects (smoke from fire doesnt come down notwithstanding any gravitational pull) and the law of gravity gives instant results, unlike law of karma which may take eons to mature.

4. If retribution is necessary to punish sinners, why does Ishwara wait for eons to dish out the punishment?  Does that mean we can get out of the rut by good behaviour in future and realising the earlier folly of sins and making necessary amends.

5. If law of karma is such a cut and dry propisition, why does Ishwara maintain that tattva exclusively in his hand (as stated in various hymns "punya-apunya phalaprada")

Can the learned members clarify my doubts, please

narayan