[Advaita-l] Qualifications to Recite Vedas - A doubt

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 11 07:20:04 CDT 2008

You can find many people all over the world, including women, who
chant the veda even with going through upanayanam etc. Are they
violating dharma shastra? It is certainly not our job to worry about
it.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Then who else should worry about it kindly tell me...whether you accept it
or not, our tradition does not allow stree (women) & sUdra (non-dvija) to
learn/recite vEda mantra-s..this is the practice you can see even today in
orthodox vedic institutions like shankara mutt, vyAsarAja mutt  etc.  But
this does not anyway mean that these people are not eligible for
mOksha..For them smruti & purAna texts are there which themselves suffice
for attaining the ultimate.  Sankara also does talk about this vedAdhikAra
in apashUdrAdhikaraNa, in vEdAnta sUtra.

However, I myself met one Mrs. Renuka at Mysore, Karnataka who is even
today  teaching rudram, chamakaM & other vEda maNtra-s to around 200
students. When I asked her about this vedAdhikAra she has given her own
justification :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!!
bhaskar