[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Kathirasan K brahmasatyam at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 02:41:50 CDT 2008

Namaste Vidyasankarji,

Would it be right to say that Sankara used Patanjala Yoga terms in his
bhasya? Both Yoga Darsana and Uttara Mimamsa (Vedanta) derive their
authority from the Vedas. Hence being so, wouldn't it be better to say
that both Vedanta and Yoga Darsana may have used similar terminologies
but may have interpreted them quite differently. Hence I may be
careful to say that Sankara used Patanjali Yoga terms explicitly.  Or
it would be better to say that both Patanjali and Sankara belong to
same Vedic tradition and therefore they used certain common terms.
But that may not mean that they interpreted the words in the same
manner and talked about the same philosophy. However, having said so,
the Advaitin may be at ease with Patanjali Yoga terms and interpret it
to fit into Vedanta.

Just my 1.99 cents.