[Advaita-l] Discussion on the role of Yoga in Adwaita

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 17:08:54 CDT 2008

> that is not the kind of attitude I have,and hope the other also will not
> hold so,But I do feel that there is an inner circle which tries to press
> their its views so that they must have the last say.I sincerely feel that
> this will not help understanding Adwaita better and for healthy
> discussion.

I absolutely agree that we are all here to further our understanding and for
healthy discussion, but would like to emphasize that there is no inner circle
anywhere. The members of this list live in at least three different continents
and are not much in contact with one another except through this list and
perhaps a couple of other mailing lists.

As for pressing one person's views, my personal writing style is emphatic, but
we do not prevent anyone else from writing in an equally or more emphatic
manner. In fact, this list would welcome it.

Perhaps, it is my role as a moderator of this list as also a frequent contributor
to discussions that causes this perception of there being some sort of a coterie.
Please rest assured that there is none. All the moderators of this list try our best
to maintain neutrality and to not let personal opinions and equations get in the
way of list activity.

>If the email I had sent is construed to be sent in an atmosphere of
>animosity,then was the wording of SriVidyasankara"..... if sadyomukti
>could have been achieved by everyone we would all be living exemplary
>lives" was framed in an atmosphere of indignation and which sounds
>futility?

To clarify, I made this statement in a light-hearted manner, not in any
indignation or frustration.

>But,I do deny that practice of
>other systems like Yoga,Sankhya,dhyana are necessary for obtaining Brahma
>jnana.

I would request you to point to a statement in any of my earlier emails in this
topic, where I say that yoga or sAMkhya are *necessary* for obtaining brahma
jnAna. I would, however, like to point out that dhyAna is not a separate system
or darSana. Sankara bhagavatpAda himself has talked of dhyAna in many places,
as evidenced in some of the quotes that I culled out from the bhAshya-s. As you
are no doubt aware, dhyAna is often described by the AcArya-s as more than a
mere preparatory step for citta-Suddhi.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar