[Advaita-l] Interesting URL

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Sun May 11 17:29:39 CDT 2008

Hello Gerald,

As far as I know, the Western academic Paul Hacker used the term
"Neo-Hinduism", see "Philology and Confrontation", edited by Halbfass.
Some academics started using the allied term Neo-vedanta to modern
masters such as Vivekananda, et. al, who claimed to be advaitins, but
who THEY felt were not true to "actual vedanta". The problem of course
was they applied Judeo-Christian notions of faithfulness to a
particular text. In general, many accepted advaitic masters have
slightly different and sometimes even radically different approaches -
say Sankara, Vidyaranya, Madhusudana Saraswati, etc., who are all
accepted by the "mainstream" tradition. As Appayya Dikshita correctly
puts it, the main tenets are however always upheld, the mode of
exposition varies, and this is not a fault.

The problem which at least Vidyasankar and I have with what we
sometimes called "neo-vedanta" has nothing to do with Western or
Eastern teachers, or with Western academic notions. I know that at
least both of us think highly of Trevor Leggett and A. J. Alston. The
issue is people coming up with metaphysical psycobabble, and claiming
to have been "automatically enlightened" while a) staring at a picture
of Ramana Maharshi b) visiting Arunachala c) by some other XYZ, etc.

The bigger issue is the denial and sometimes even making fun of the
need for actual sAdhana - i.e., the four-fold requisities necessary
for vedaanta-vichaara. This is indeed a very Western phenomenon at
least in origin, and is now seeping back to India via the English
educated elite. The teachers who are classified as neo-vedantins by
Western academics - Sivananda, Chinmayananda, etc., actually emphasize
the development of four-fold qualities, sometimes even exclusively
concentrating on that. But rest assured, I doubt if any Indians here
think Westerners are not qualified to be advaitins! Re: the
brahma-sUtra itself admits people outside the four-fold varNa system
are qualified.

Rama