[Advaita-l] Discussion on Adwaita-saguna Brahmopasana and Nirguna Brahmopasana

srikanta at nie.ac.in srikanta at nie.ac.in
Tue May 13 23:18:34 CDT 2008

Dear Srinivas
I could not respond immediately as I was out of station.Regarding your
question on Saguna Brahmopasana or pratikopasana,the Upasnishads confine
this to the ritualistic portion,in the mantra,Brahmana sections.Performing
Yagas and Yagnas and obtaining the rewards like heavens and astral
positions  are contained in these sections.But,the Nirguna Brahma(not
Nirguna Brahmopasana,I see the contradiction here),start only after
condemning the rituals(see for instance Mundakopanishad).The Upanishads
and the Bhagawadgita are equivocal in declaring that the Upasana leads the
devotee to higher worlds,special powers and finally the form of Diety he
worships.But, the contemplation or the jnana of the Nirguna Brahman leads
one to the realisation of Brahman.If one wants to remain in the upasana of
saguna Brahman and kainkaryam of the Lord like the Vishishtadwaitins(who
say that even Jnani or kaivalyarthi is below the one who serves the Lord
and tries to attain the Lord(I do not see the difference between one who
tries to attain the Lord or Moksha and a Jnan, it is fine.But he will be
in the next station to the one he aspires.
                                                         N.Srikanta.