[Advaita-l] The Evolution of Advaita from Sankara till Date

Sundaresan, Vidyasankar (GE Infra, Water) vidyasankar.sundaresan at ge.com
Thu May 15 08:12:23 CDT 2008

>I've seen your comments on Swamy Vivekananda somany times
>earlier...prabhuji, kindly let me know why you are taking such a tough
>stand on vivEkananda?? what makes you to think that he is not even an
>advaitin!! I've read his work on jnAna yOga, though it is not shAstric
&
>rigid in the representation of non-dual phiolosophy, I think, it is
worth
  ^^^^
>reading for those who persue jnAna mArga. Kindly comment.
I think rigid is an unhappy choice of words here, Bhaskar. A more
appropriate
word would be rigorous, rather than rigid. If one reads Swami
Vivekananda
carefully, I think one will find that he is not rigorous about advaita
vedAnta, but
he is also not rigid in his opinions. He writes emphatically, but he is
not a
rigid and dogmatic author.

I can understand both Jaldhar's reservations about Swami Vivekananda's
writings
and the views of those who think otherwise. However, one should remember
that
Swami Vivekananda never portrayed himself as a faithful interpreter of
Sankara or
classical advaita. His goals were more general with respect to Hinduism.

Regards,
Vidyasankar