[Advaita-l] moxa-sAdhanA

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed May 21 23:09:06 CDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Krunal Makwana wrote:

> How can one perform self-less karma from the very on-set? To me there seems
> to be pre-requisites which need to be ticked, before self-less karma can
> even commence, don't you think? And if there are what are they?

Bhagavan answers this in 18.66

sarvadharmAnparityajya mAmekaM sharaNaM vraja |

"Abandoning [the fruits of] all dharmas [including adharmas] seek me as
the only refuge."

When karma is done purely out of a sense of duty as a sacrifice to God it
is nishkama.

Some people in the recent conversations have suggested the dictates of the
shastras be ignored if the person "feels inclined" to do something else.
This is the very _opposite_ of what should be done.  When you introduce
"want" into the picture you just end up with a high-minded hedonism not
nishkama karma.