[Advaita-l] Religious philosophy of the Kashmir Hindus

jagannathan mahadevan jagannathan.mahadevan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:56:53 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Krishnamurthy Ramakrishna wrote:
>
>> My understanding was that Govinda Bhagavatpada lived in an area which
>> Is today recognized as Andra Pradesh!
>>

> Unfortunately, I don't have access to a copy of Madhaviya Digvijaya at the
> moment but I seem to remember that Govinda Bhagavatapada was a Kashmiri
> who encountered the young Brahmachari Shankara on the banks of the Narmada
> at the tirth called Omkareshvara.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny?

I have been to Omkareshwar, Madhya Pradesh and yes there is a legend
there that Govindapada lived there and Shankara is said to have
obtained instruction there.

There is also a cave which is said to have been the place where
Govindapada performed his tapasya.

Jagan