[Advaita-l] meaning for certain mantras

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Oct 10 00:59:51 CDT 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, narayan iyer wrote:

> In my family tradition while doing doing panca-deepa aarti, we use the
> mantras "sapratha sabham me gopaya, ye cha sabhayam.........Aher
> budhniyam mantram gopaya......amrutaam sathaam..."  - taittiriya
> brahmanam 1.2.1.26.
>
> Can some member please give the meaning of the aforesaid mantras? Also,
> whether the mantra is appropriate for panca-deepa aarti, as the puja
> vidhanam book I have (published by RK mutt) gives another set of
> mantras.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the exact verses in question but I
will say this.  If there is any conflict between the shishtachara of ones
family (verified as far as possible that it is actual historical practice)
and printed books, the former takes precedence.  Many of the prayoga books
are simply not very good and even the ones that are may only represent one
view among several.